dscn2170.JPGIt snowed quite hard over the weekend, so hard that it was proclaimed Snow Day for schools all over the Lower Mainland. Fortunately for me, it was my regular day off today, so I got to enjoy being snuggled in my own space and catching up on some sleep.

Because of various ailments, I have been sleeping poorly in the past couple weeks. Have been having bad dreams and waking up in sweats for some reason. Maybe it’s due to the low pressure system? We have been having pretty extreme weather conditions lately.

I was quite happy with how I used my day off today. Slept in until mid-morning. Then I had to do some extensive emailing and calling to delay a potluck party that I was going to host tonight. My coworkers were going to come over after work for a baby shower for May H. (who’s going on mat leave next week), but due to the bad roads, it made much more sense to have it at work tomorrow during lunch instead. Won’t be as cozy, but at least we can celebrate with peace of mind.

dscn2167.JPGBut not having to get ready for the party meant that I had the entire day for myself. So after taking care of the party details, I started thinking about what I wanted for breakfast. There’s a jar of Dan-D-Pak Chocolate Cashew Butter that I have been dying to try for a few weeks now. I haven’t gotten around to buying bread to have with it because I’m not much of bread eater as it takes forever for me to polish off a loaf by myself. However, I didn’t care about that today and hopped over the nearby Bonnie’s Bakery to pick up a fresh loaf of Honey-Crusted Bread. Before my run to the bakery, I also persued my recently purchased Joy of Cooking (75th anniversary ed.) and saw a recipe for pan-broiled steak. That gave me the idea to have steak for brunch. So I picked up a package of sirloin steaks as well.

I had a most satisfying meal at midday, with scrambled eggs, a very large sirloin steak (cooked rare), a couple slices of Honey Crusted bread slathered with that chocolate cashew butter, a mandarin orange, and a cup of Korean tea to finish. What a treat!

Then I esconced myself on the the couch and started on the newest title from the No. 1 Detective Ladies’ Agency series. Naturally, I drifted off into a nap. By the time I woke up, it was time to think about my next meal. Because I had so much goodness to enjoy today, I really wanted to share that with some people so I invited Simon and Dot over for dinner and to watch Heroes together after that.

In addition to poor sleep, my fatigue comes from an event-filled weekend. Looking back, I don’t think I paced myself too well. On Saturday morning, I helped out with the Sandwich Run (which I had to get up at 730am for). Then I checked out the new Costco in downtown with Jen and her friends. Then I had to rush home for a fundraising meeting. Then I met up with Jen again to watch Urinetown back in the Downtown Eastside. Because it was snowing so much and Jen’s Mini was using summer tires, we took transit.

On Sunday, I had to lead for the worship service at Bethel. Every time I lead, there’s a lot of mental and physical preparation involved so I felt pretty beat up afterwards. But I wanted to stay outdoors to enjoy the snow, so I went over to Dot’s parents’ house to help her shovel snow for them. Believe it or not, it was the first time I ever shoveled snow in my life. After that, we went to the school playground at the end of the block to make snow angels. Lots of fun, but I was so pooped afterwards.

I wasn’t thinking very clearly, so I decided to hang out with Dot for the rest of yesterday when I really should have gone home because of the heavy snowfall. I thought, “I can take transit home.” Ended up visiting the Chongs upstairs and playing with baby Emma. She is soooooo cute! I got my progesterone fix yesterday from holding her so much. Had dinner with the Chongs. Got to have some of Lisa’s “mothering” diet, including a green papaya soup (that enables lactating) and Geung Cho, a tasty healing soup rich with minerals and protein.

I left the Chong’s/Dot’s at 930pm, thinking that I’d catch the 943pm bus that would take me home just before 10pm. At first, I quite enjoyed waiting for the bus, with the snow falling and hush in the night air. But my scheduled bus never showed up. After 45 minutes of waiting, it started to get cold and I decided to change my route home. I didn’t get home until 11pm last night, and that was with Simon’s offer to bail me out by giving me a ride home. I soooo owe him.

Anyways, I’m glad things turned out the way they did today. I feel adequately rested and ready to go back to work tomorrow.